Friday, March 11, 2011

The Organizing Zoo

This post really has nothing to do with a zoo, unless you consider your thoughts wild animals you need to round up and put on display somewhere. But it does have a whole heck of a lot to do with organizing your thoughts in regards to your WIP (work in progress).

That's what I'm doing. I'm organizing. It's taken me about a week to do this. I gather all my post-its, loose papers where I jotted down notes, and my journals where I collect ideas. Now I need to go about implementing these 10,000 or so ideas.

As you know WHO IS SAINT GIOVANNI? will be appearing on this blog in about 30 days or so. (OMG) This manuscript has gone through several revisions already. And when I decided to post it in weekly installments, I had actually forgotten that I was midway through a 3rd or 4th revision when I had to stop (because of work or school or some such thing) and left it to sit, unresolved, etc. That means the first half--in some ways--doesn't correspond perfectly with the second half of the manuscript.

I will finish in time. That's really no problem. The problem is where to get started with the 10,000 ideas. Writer friends....what do you do??? Do you start at the beginning of your manuscript and work your way through. This tends to be my MO.

OR do you go through your notes individually and find the spots that need tweaking? What else?

Just for the heck of it, I've decided to throw in a picture of my journals. For past novels, I've actually pinned butcher paper to the wall and charted out my entire novel based on events, so I could rearrange scenes. Have you ever done that? What are some other ways you record your thoughts?


Ok that's all for now. Have a great Friday :-)

UPDATE (as of 12:23pm pacific time)
I don't know why I feel compelled to update. BUT I DO! <hehe> I've decided to read through my entire manuscript and while doing so, take notes on my laptop. SEE:


-Rane-