Monday, March 21, 2011

The first few pages of a book

are SO important.

Writers stress over the first few pages of their manuscript.

For readers, it can make or break a book purchase. I'm really picky about the books I buy from the bookstore. I take greater risks with online purchases because the books are half the price and even less than that if they are used. If I pick up a book and the 1st page doesn't hook me, I'll literally put it down and probably never give it another thought. I agree with all you tsk-tsk-ers and those of you shaking your finger at me this very moment. I shouldn't be like that. But come on---with thousands of books out there, and not enough time to read them all, we've got to be picky!!!

That being said, I want to talk about how AWESOME the beginning of Across The Universe by Beth Revis is. I have to admit, I'm always a little late to get started with the book club read, and then I rush to finish before our live blog chat at the end of the month. This time, I'm not so late (still 10 days to go lol).

I've decided to read the first couple pages of the book to you. You be the judge. Does this beginning start off  different from most YA books? Does it hook you? Would you read more??

If so....join our book club <hehe> so you can join us for the live book club chat at the end of this month! Or not, but let me know what you think of the beginning.

And before I start, let me give you tiny blurb to get you started:

"Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the spaceship Godspeed. She has left her boyfriend, friends--and planet--behind to join her parents as a member of Project Ark Ship." (Taken from book's inside flap.)




Final thoughts
Starting the book with the process Amy has to go through in order to be a frozen passenger is what kept me reading. I wanted to see how Amy would handle it when it was her turn. I was intrigued by an idea that isn't yet possible in this day and age but could be one day.

-Rane-