Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When Lightning Strikes Review

Author: Meg Cabot
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 272 pages
Summary: (Taken from Goodreads):
Jess Mastriani has never been what you'd call a typical Midwestern teenager—her extracurricular activities, instead of cheerleading or 4-H, include fist-fights with the football team and month-long stints in detention. A part of Jess would like to be the prom queen her mother has always envisioned her being, but another part is secretly counting the days until she's saved up enough money to buy her own Harley.
Then something happens that guarantees Jess will be one of the in-crowd...at least until her newfound talent ends up getting her dead.

Review:

Meg Cabot is one of my all-time favorite authors. For real, though. Her books are always laugh-out loud funny and creative. Whenever I find myself in a bad mood, I know that I can just pick up one of her books and feel better in a few minutes. I like her Mediator series a little better than this one, but it's still really good!

I loved this book. It's a great mix of humor, danger, and a touch of romance. Jess is hilarious and an extremely strong female character, and Rob is HOT!!! This is my third time reading this book, and I find myself still laughing at the jokes and falling love with the characters. Meg's witty, fun writing style makes this book a fast and enjoyable read.

Besides making the characters fun, the premise of this story is really interesting. A girl gets struck by lightning and now can locate missing people. Meg takes it a step further and puts a little realism into it -- the government finds out and wants her to work for them. But she just wants to be an ordinary girl! The stakes are incredibly high, which I love. Meg certainly doesn't make it easy for her characters! I'm definitely looking forward to rereading the next books in the series.

Warning: If you start reading this book, make sure you have time to finish it, because you're not going to want to put it down!

My rating:
















Until later,