Friday, January 21, 2011

Does your family let you read? & Awards

It's tough to read when this is the face I get from everyone in my household! This look says, "Really, are you going to read a book instead of playing with me? Isn't it time for our walk yet?" Sometimes I bribe my pet with a toy filled with a treat and a little peanut butter just so she'll give me some reading time. Do your pets (husbands, kids, other animals in your household) give you time to read? Do you wish, like me, that you had more time to read?

 

Onto a different topic:
Awards
We received the Stylish Blogger Award  from Saba's Awesome Reviews, Phaedra's Multipurpose Blog, and from Lisa at First Draft on Life, Literature and Lunacy. <--They have AWESOME blogs too, so anybody reading this, I think you should check them out! :-)

We also received the Versatile Award from Tribute Books Mama! <--I love this blog. Please stop by to take a peek!

To accept the award we have to do the following:

1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.
2. Share seven things about yourself.
3. Award to fifteen recently discovered bloggers.
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

For the Versatile Blogger Award

For the Stylish Blogger Award

Here are the 7 random facts about us:

ALYSSA
1) I have to read at least 4 books at a time. I don't know why. I feel like I get more accomplished this way, even though I probably slow myself down.

2) I can't go 2 days without either reading or writing. Most of the time, I spend my entire day doing both.

3) I hate needles. If you even talk about getting a shot, I will put my hands over my ears and scream to drown you out, because even just talking about it makes me want to faint.

4) I hate driving. My goal is to live in a city where having a car is unnecessary. I'm aiming for a European city, preferably in France. :)

5) I'm a research nut. For me, the best part of writing is researching. While I'm currently writing fantasy, I have a feeling I'll turn to historical or non-fiction because of this.

6) Before I decided to major in English, I was seriously considering a major in Computer Science. I am both saddened and glad I made this choice. Books and writing make life worth living. Unfortunately, it is very hard to make a living in related fields.

7) I'm a dog person. Cats freak me out.

KALINA KAY
1) I hate cooking. And actually, I don't like foods and meals with a lot of ingredients or that take a long time to cook. The simpler the food... the better. It is probably way less healthy, but that's okay.

2) I don't read the newspaper or watch the news. I think it's depressing and I try to be an optimistic person. If our world was being attacked by aliens I wouldn't know about it unless someone called me and personally told me over the phone.

3) I can't clean my house unless I am talking on the phone. I have special friends just for this purpose. It feels as though I am getting two things done at once: catching up with a friend AND cleaning. Plus, it makes the work seem like it goes so much faster. One phone conversation and VOILA! the house is suddenly clean. My hubby always asks who I've been talking to whenever the house is clean. I think he knows.

4) I have a thing for hair. I don't wish I was a hair stylist or anything but I follow hair blogs in an effort to keep my girls constantly looking their best. If I got paid to braid, I'd be a millionaire.

5) I've been living on my own since I was 17. After I graduated, my parents moved to Cali and I had a choice to move with them or stay in AZ. I chose to stay, got an apartment, went to school full time, and worked two jobs at minimum wage to make ends meet. I don't know how I did it... but I did.

6) I used to be organized and then I started writing...

7) I don't like chocolate ice cream but I love chocolate in general.
RANE
1) I lived in Brisbane, Australia for almost four years.

2) When I was 9, I wrote a screenplay sequel to the movie HOOK. I called it HOOK RETURNS. At 12, I tried to write a Jane Austen inspired historical romance novel and reached the 20,000 word mark! Not bad for my first novel.

3) I like to eat breakfast while checking e-mail/facebook/blog.

4) One of my favorite activities is going to the movies.

5) I have hiked the Grand Canyon twice, from top to bottom & back up. The first time I hiked out of the canyon, I did it in 5 hours and 15 minutes. The second time I did it, I improved my time. It dropped to 4 hours and 30 minutes!!

6) I hate bumping into people I know in public places.

7) I am really good at spotting famous people out in public.

Thank you for enjoying our blog!