Monday, January 24, 2011

Book Lovelies (2)

To read more about Book Lovelies (and its "sister" meme, Book Crazies) please visit our features page.

 
What am I loving about the book(s) I tote around town and stash under my pillow at night? Stick around to find out. Don't forget to share what you are loving about your current reads!

Just finished: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Currently reading: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (on page 98)

About Revolution...
How do you feel when you are already enjoying a book, and then BAM, you're slammed with a twist you were not expecting? That's what happened while reading Revolution. It became my favorite part of the book. Until that point, I was thinking it was a 3.5 star book but then SLAM...twist...and it bumped the overall score up to a 4. Oh yeah, it was THAT good. I wish I could tell you what the twist is, but I don't want to spoil it for you in case you plan on reading this book.

In the past, if I picked up a book written in present tense, more than half of the time I'd put it back onto the shelf. I've always preferred to read books written in past tense. Revolution is written in first person, present tense, and I think it totally worked for this story. It made everything feel so immediate, which was important since the main character, Andi, was struggling with some pretty intense feelings. Although, I personally cannot relate to her traumatic experiences, the present tense made me feel like I was Andi. It had me constantly thinking how would I react or feel? Would it be like Andi? Essentially, it made the story come alive for me. *I loved it*

I almost forgot this point, and I'm glad I remembered! Revolution has a love story weaved into it. And if you know me, you know I LOVE romance. But, what made this romance so spectacular is the fact that it was pretty average. Average as in boring? No way. It was average as in "this can actually happen in real life." Lately, I feel like YA books are taken over by the I'm in love with you at first sight scenario. That can be fun too, but it gets old quick. Maybe it's only getting old because there isn't enough variety in what happens after the love at first sight scene. Anyway... in Revolution Virgil is this really caring, normal (and hot) guy. He and Andi hit it off right from the start, but their romance develops naturally. It's helped me realize that tenderness can happen in very small events. Like singing someone to sleep...

About City of Bones...
So, I have much less to say about this one. NOT because I'm not loving it. I am. But, I'm only about 100 pages into the book. What's got me hooked? Simon and Jace. Both of them make me LAUGH like crazy. And, I can already tell where things are headed...romantically...between Clary and both boys. Is this a love triangle in the works? We shall see.


If you would like participate in this meme, please leave your link at the bottom of this post. Book Lovelies is the "sister" meme to Book Crazies. The two memes rotate every other week for variety!