Monday, April 4, 2011

Cover Art Journey for WISG?

I knew I wanted the the cover to depict the "bridge scene" from my book, but I didn't know exactly what it should look like. So I just threw some images together, and this is what I came up with:

Ashley set to work with quick sketches to figure what would work best for this scene:

Then, I told her I needed to see a younger face:


Two final sketches to choose from:

After many of you suggested the font shouldn't cover Giovanni's eyes, we started playing with font placement!




Color mock! I didn't really know what to think at this point because I wasn't sure how the top half and bottom half would come together with the color schemes. At this point, Ashley and I also talked about making the top half resemble an old painting.

My first sneak peek at the bottom half of the cover art. I was so thrilled with this! I loved the colors and the clouds, and I KNEW the final cover would be AWESOME!!!!!

Final cover with different text placement:

I worked a little bit on the font and sent an idea back to Ashley: 

She loved my font idea and then added the swirls behind it (which is a great finishing touch!!!!!! (<--I know you can tell I'm excited! hehe)

And that's the end of the Ashley & Rane cover art story for Who is Saint Giovanni?

3 comments: