Friday, April 22, 2011

Inspired Friday (1)

Hey everyone!

I've decided to do a new thing with my posts (although this will sometimes be interrupted by book reviews). It has to do with quotes, because I don't know about the rest of you, but quotes totally inspire me. They affect what I write on any given day by shaping the subject and even the tone of my writing.

So for these posts, I'm going to have a quote that inspires me in some way and write about it. Maybe it'll be related to writing, maybe it'll be related to what's going on with me at the moment, but it'll always be related to an aspect in my life.

Here is this week's:

I've never let my school interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

I am a college student, and for those of you who are students, you know that right now is crunch time. I have 3 weeks left before finals. So all of the biggest projects are piling up on each other. And because of that, I've completely immersed myself into work. I haven't read a book in a week. I haven't even really talked to people all that much.

And what purpose does that serve me?

I'm going crazy. Seriously. I can't sleep because my neck is too tense from the stress, and I'm pretty sure I've gained about five pounds from stress eating. Sometimes, some of us (me, especially) need to remember that school isn't everything. There are some things you learn that just can't be taught other than experiencing them. Things that are so much more relevant to life than writing a strategic analysis of a company's marketing campaign.

This has a direct effect on my writing, too. What makes writing rich is the feeling that it's real-life -- it's those moments when you're reading a book and completely lose yourself into the world and characters because they're so relatable.

I'm not saying school is important, it's just that experiencing life and learning real-life things shouldn't be sacrificed for school.

Anybody else find themselves having this problem? Anybody else have other reactions to Twain's quote? I'd love to hear your thoughts!