Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Book Review: Linger

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: July 13, 2010
Hardcover: 368 pages
My Rating: 3
Summary: (Taken from Amazon)
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past ... and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabel, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

Review:
Since this is the second book in The Wolves of Mercy Falls series, I had expectations going into it. The first book, SHIVER, is a wonderful read. I rent books and I buy books... SHIVER was a buy-able book. LINGER, on the other hand, was less than buy-able. To sum it up really easily, I was not Wowed with this book.

The plot was slooooooooow. So slow, that I literally picked it up about four times, three months apart, and could never get into it. I put it down, and picked up something else. FINALLY, after the fifth try and about a third of the way into the book, I started to appreciate the characters and get into it more.

Here is the hard part: This book is told in FOUR different peoples point of view. While normally I would say this would add excitement and diversity, it did the opposite. I couldn't get into any one characters head for longer than ten pages! Not only was it annoying but it was also not worth my time.

This being said, I want to add the caveat that when I finally did get into the book, I stayed awake until 2am to finish reading it. Which is why I deemed it worthy of 3 stars. That, and the fact that Maggie Stiefvater is a very talented writer. She is poetic and her imagery is AMAZING. As a writer, I can appreciate her work. As a reader, the plot is forgettable and the tone is a little depressing.

Hopefully, the next book in the series, FOREVER, will be a little more enjoyable for me. I will read it, but at this point--it's a rent-able, not a buy-able.

xoxo,
Kalina Kay


Food for Thought- I see more and more authors writing books that include more than one characters point of view. Is it just me, or is this obnoxious? I would so much rather pick up two books, two different stories, and two different point of views, than have them meshed into one book. It could just be me but I'd love to hear your opinions.