Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Movie or the Book?


I just started reading I Am Number Four which was published mid-2010.  I heard the book has already been made into a movie which is going to be released mid-February, 2011. Fast work! This got me to thinking about which would be better--to read the book first or see the movie first.

I tend to read a book first and then, if I like it, go to see the movie. Sometimes I am so disappointed because the actors are not what I pictured or the story has been changed (and I usually hate that!). That happened when I read the Bourne trilogy and then saw the first movie…whew…talk about changing some of the characters! And the two movies that followed contained the same titles as the Bourne books but very little else.

Very rarely do I want to read a book after I’ve seen the movie. Someone told me he totally disagrees because he likes to read the book after he sees the movie. He said there are more details in the book….and sometimes more characterization…to savor at his own pace.

I found a list of popular young adult books (on suite101.com) that have been made into movies—of course the Harry Potter series and Twilight…the Princess Diaries, the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to name a few. Keeping these in mind, which would you prefer first “the movie or the book?”