Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MATCHED Review

Matched by Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Books
Hardcover: 384 Pages
Reading Level: Young Adult

Summary :
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.
Taken from the publisher's website:

Review:
There is so much I want to tell you about this book but I don't want to ruin anything! The moment I put the book down (which was approx. 4am) I smiled, I sighed, and I wanted to pick up the phone and call my sister, and then my best friend, and then my other sister. But... since it was 4am, I had to wait until morning.

If anyone has ever read any of Ally Condie's previous books, you will know that she has a brilliant way of getting inside a teenager's head, (no easy task!). She pulls you into the book with the most incredible and beautiful descriptions. Her voice is poetic and she conquers words in a way that makes each sentence mean so much more than the simplicity of what is being said. There is no doubt this girl can write! I literally wanted to savor every page but at the same time, you want to know what happens so you want to read it fast. It's definitely a book to read again and again, one of those stories where you will notice something new each time you experience it.

The story itself was great because it was unique. MATCHED has been compared to 1984 and BRAVE NEW WORLD because they all take place within a dystopian society. The world Ms. Condie has created is so intricate and detailed that you can't help but read it and think, 'Where did she come up with this!?'. Its like falling in love for the first time but with a new spin on life and the choices you get to make. The content is totally appropriate for a younger audience but compelling enough for an older audience. There is a love-triangle but it is very different from any other triangle I've read about (and I've read a lot of them!).There isn't much blow-things-up-kick-butt action in this book, but the turmoil Cassia (the main character) is constantly suffering is more than enough to set a fast pace and make the reader crave more of her world. The ending is conveniently set up for her second novel in the trilogy which will be called CROSSED and will be released in Fall of 2011!

Ally Condie's creativity far exceeds many books that I've read making MATCHED  one of my favorite books. I want to go re-read it now.
Seriously, whatever it is you are reading, put it down and go get MATCHED. Right now.

Cover: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 6/5 (Can I do that? Well, I just did! It's that good!)
Ending: 5/5
My overall rating:
Have your read this book already? I'd love to hear your opinions on it. Do you agree or disagree with my review? Let's talk about it!

xoxo,

Kalina Kay